Independent grapegrowers

The supplying of grapes by Trentino grapegrowers constitutes a very characteristic local tradition. In 80% of the instances, the growers deliver their crop to cooperatives, of which they themselves are members, while the remaining 20% make wine themselves or sell the grapes to private wineries such as that of the Togns.

Many of the families that today supply their fruit to Gaierhof are descendents of those who began their relationship with Germano, Luigi Togn's father. Over those years, they kept their supply agreements on their oral word of honour, a very traditional type of contract in local agriculture: payment for the grapes is postponed until the feast-day of San Martino, on 11 November, when most of the wine from the previous vintage has been sold.

Gaierhof currently has 160 suppliers, who farm 170 hectares of vineyard in the main growing areas throughout Trentino-Alto Adige: the Valle di Cembra for Muller Thurgau and Riesling Renano, the Piana Rotaliana for Teroldego, Roverè della Luna for Pinot Grigio, Traminer Aromatico, and Moscato Giallo, the Colline Avisiane for Nosiola, Pinot Nero, and Sauvignon, and the Vallagarina for Marzemino, Chardonnay, and Moscato Giallo.